Sunday, June 16, 2013

Bucket List

I have always enjoyed the outdoors and backpacking is one of my favorite ways to do so. It's been a few years since I have hit the trails for an overnight hike, and I am starting to realize how much I miss it. I have always thought that it would be awesome to be able to hike the entire Appalachian Trail. Since I have settled into my career and recently married, I figured that this is a perfect time to begin to check this off of my bucket list! Since I don't really want to dedicate a solid 6 months of my life on a thru-hike, and because of the flexible schedule of my career as a firefighter, I've decided to section hike the trail. Section hiking is taking multiple trips to hike the trail in smaller parts.


Day hike from Summer 2012


Many people might be wondering why I titled my blog "The Halligan Hiker." I have a great passion for my career as a firefighter and a halligan is a tool specifically designed for the fire service. I thought this title was a great fit!

                                                         
                                                                  The Halligan Bar


I thought a blog would be a great way to share my experiences with my friends and family, as well as one day being able to share it with my kids. My goal is to be able to share pictures and experiences as well as talk about some of the gear I use. I hope that everyone enjoys it. Stay tuned for a post about my first section hike!

3 comments:

  1. I miss it too! Never thought i would say that! Haha...but our times on the trails are some of my fondest memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to go back and do the same some day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Mark!! psyched for you!

    - LC

    ReplyDelete